The rib cage expands in all directions with inhalation and reverts to their original position with exhalation. Thoracic breathing is a powerful breath technique for healing respiratory ailments.
HOW TO DO:
- Sit or stand comfortably, place the palm of your hands lightly on your ribcage with your fingers pointing inward and thumb behind. your little fingers should touch the lower ribcage.
- Shoulders relaxed, elbows pointing outward.
- Start breathing normally and observe the movement of the chest. After few breaths, begin to deepen, lengthen and extend that movements.
- On the inhalation, expand the ribcage sideward filling the lungs completely with air, then on exhalation let the lungs collapse fully.
- Keep the abdomen still, moving the only chest while breathing.
- You can start with 5-10 round and gradually increase the rounds.
- Improves the lung capacity
- Better supply of oxygen to variable cells of the body.
- Good for Asthma.
- Intercoastal breathing is practised and developed, mobility of chest wall improves.
Nisha Yadav ( Yoga expert )