Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris. Linn) is an herb with sharp thorny fruit. It is also known by Gokharu in Marathi and Hindi, and Small Caltrops in English. Other synonyms like Shvadanshtra, Trikantaka, Kantaki are also used.
Gokshura possesses sweet taste and after-taste, it is cold in potency, and is heavy and oily in nature.
Action and uses
- It balances vata dosha and pitta dosha but increases kapha dosha
- Administration of gokshura is suggested to eliminate gas formed due to intestinal spasm due to its anulomana (downward movement of vata) nature
- Decoction of Gokshura given with Kantakari powder is said to be useful in Cough, Asthma, and Heart Pathologies
- Due to its attributes, it pacifies Hematuria (blood in urine)
- It strengthens and nourishes Garbhashaya (Uterus)
- It increases urination due to its sweet taste, rich in potassium and salt content. It said to be highly effective in Urinary Stones
- Study reveals that both the whole plant and fruits of Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris Linn) in the form of ghanasatwa is having a significant action in reduction of clinical symptoms, systolic and diastolic blood pressure without any side effects on the patients of mild to moderate essential hypertension
- Decoction and water extract of the fruits produce moderate diuretic activity due to high potassium content. Alcoholic extract produces hypotension and depresses respiration.
- Gokshuradi Guggul\
- Goksura Quath
- Gokshuradi Avaleha