You might be surprised to know that there were 422 million cases of diabetes in 2014, compared to 108 million in 1980, a 314 million increase in just 34 years. Before learning about the diet, you should first understand what madhumeha is.
ACCORDING TO AYURVEDA –
Madhumeha is one of the 20 varieties of prameha mentioned by Ayurveda. Basically, Prameha is a morbid secretion of urine. If your urine tastes or smells sweet, it could be a sign of madhumeha. Madhumeha is a vataj disease, meaning it is caused by vata dosha vitiation.
It is asadhya vyadhi, which means it is incurable.
CHARACTERISTICS OF URINE IN MADHUMEHA –
- Pale Sweet
- Astringent (slimy)
MADHUMEHA ACCORDING TO MODERN SCIENCE –
In modern research, Madhumeha is linked to diabetes mellitus. There are two main types of diabetes.
- Type 1:
The insulin levels are reduced, resulting in increased blood sugar levels.
- Type 2:
In this scenario, our body’s cells do not respond to insulin, causing an increase in blood sugar levels.
Symptoms of diabetes according to modern science –
- Loss of weight
- Excessive Hunger
- Polyuria, is a condition in which a person passes urine more frequently
DIET TIPS –
We all know that diabetes cannot be cured, but it can be managed to prevent further complications.
- Increase your intake of green leafy vegetables. They are high in fiber and aid with diabetic management.
- Drumstick leaves are helpful with managing diabetes. Drumstick leaves contain ascorbic acid, which can help to lower blood glucose levels.
- Increase your intake of citrus fruits like lemon and orange. Citrus fruits contain bioflavonoids, which help to regulate blood sugar levels.
- In the morning, mix amla powder with a pinch of turmeric in a glass of lukewarm water and drink it.
- Vegetables like tomatoes, capsicum, cucumbers and carrots can be added to roasted chana, roasted soya, and roasted moong.
- You can include 2-3 small pieces of chicken or fish in your diet.
FOOD ITEMS TO AVOID –
- Fruits like bananas, chikoo, mango, and grapes
- Mutton, prawns, oysters, and lobsters
- Milk and milk products should be avoided.
- White rice, potatoes, Maida (all-purpose flour) and refined sugar in any form should be avoided at all costs.
Rajvi Goyal ( Ayurvedic Nutritionist and Dietician )