Fennel seeds are also known as saunf (variyali). It was considered to be auspicious in ancient times. Every kitchen has fennel seeds. It is used to add flavours to salads, curries and desserts.
In most of the restaurants and hotels, saunf is served after meals (food) along with the bill. The head of the family is busy paying the bill and others grab the saunf. After every meal, most of the houses have the practice of eating saunf. It is not only a mouth freshener but full of minerals and vitamins.
How to prepare:
- Add 2 tbsp fennel seeds in 1 cup water.
- Boil for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Turn off the gas.
- Now cover the vessel with a lid.
- Let it come to room temperature.
- Strain and drink first thing in the morning.
- You will feel the difference in a few days.
Effect of Fennel seeds on your body:
- As it contains vitamin A, it does wonders for your eyesight.
- It is used to improve symptoms of glaucoma.
- It reduces all Tridosha ( vata, pita, kapha).
- It has a cooling effect on the body. It removes heat from the body during summer.
- It gives a natural glow to the skin.
- It helps to prevent cancer
- It also helps in chronic constipation.
- It helps to relax stomach muscles that end to contract and make you feel hungry at odd hours.
- It breaks down the stomach acids.
- It prevents additional fat in the liver.
- It keeps you healthy, fresh and active all day long.
- A tiny powerhouse of detoxifying.
- Boosting metabolism.
- It absorbs nutrients from food.
- Effective in helping cure water retention.
- It helps in indigestion.
- Copper is essential for the production of red blood cells.
- Potassium helps to control heart rate and regulates blood pressure.
- It contains iron, vitamin C, folic acid which reduces anaemia and menstrual problems in women.
- Zinc, calcium and selenium help to balance hormones.
- It reduces urinary tract problems.
- It also helps to clear sinuses.
- The essential oils and fibre present in the seeds purify the blood.