Hypertension is defined as the pressure exerted by the column of blood on the wall of arteries Or Blood pressure is the force that a persons blood exerts against the wall of their blood vessels.
According to Ayurved, we have three basic factors – causing diseases.
Inadequate/ Improper/ Excess of
KALA (Season, time )
ARTHA ( Object of senses) and
KARMA ( Activities)
Ayurved gives more importance to the retention of natural urges causing diseases.
Percentage of patients having high blood pressure.
10 % are Renal, Cardiac, Hepatic problem, Tumor.
They require proper and specific line of treatment.
90 % is because of Lifestyle
They require lifestyle modifications.
In many cases, hypertension does not cause any symptom until it causes complications such as heart attack and stroke and plays a role of a silent killer in the body.
Symptoms of Clinical features :
- Burning sensation
- Excessive anger
- Chest pain
- Excessive perspiration
- Vision disturbances
50 % of patients remain asymptomatic which are difficult to diagnose.
Causes of Hypertension :
* Stress and hectic lifestyle
* Excessive intake of intoxicants
* Metabolic disorders
* Excessive intake of common table salt
* Overloading of fast foods
* Hardening of the arteries.
So it is important to realise that you may have high blood pressure and the only way to find it out get your blood pressure checked at regular intervals.
What should be done when it is confirmed or diagnosed that cause of hypertension is a lifestyle not any other disease in the body?
Do meditation regularly.
All the problems are stuck between mind and matter. If you don’t mind it does not matter.
Professionals are more prone to hypertension because they regularly indulge in
* Retention of natural urges
* Eating in improper timings
* Adopting improper lifestyle and doetatics
Follow these points :
* Stress reduction
Avoid or learn to manage
* Meditation, yoga, simply long walking are relaxation techniques
* Consuming alcohol, tobacco, junk food. They can contribute to elevated blood pressure and complications
* Smoking- Avoid or quitting reduces the risk of hypertension
* Reduce salt intake
(WHO 5gms per day )
* Eating more fruits, vegetables and less fat.
* Managing body weight
In Ayurved, there are many medicines which can control or cure the disease.
So why to have unnecessary ego and problems.
Let us all simplify our life.
B.A.M.S. ( Mum), B.Sc., Ayurvedic Physician, Panchakarma expert.